Listening and Speaking Warm Up!

 

Listening Comprehension: A Noisy Neighbour

Before You Listen

Look at these words before you listen:

  • turn down = make something quieter

  • loud = making a lot of noise

  • party = a social event with friends or family

  • birthday = the day when someone was born

  • late = after the usual or expected time

  • appreciate = be thankful for something

  • promise = say that you will definitely do something

Next: Click on the following link. Listen to the audio 2 times only.


Part 1: Listen for the Main Idea

Listen to the conversation. Choose the best answer.

1. Why does Emma talk to John?

a) She wants to invite him to a party.
b) She wants him to turn down the music.
c) She wants to wish his wife a happy birthday.


Part 2: Listen for Details

Listen to the conversation again and answer the questions.

2. What is John doing?

a) He is sleeping.
b) He is working.
c) He is having a party.

3. Why is John having a party?

a) It is his birthday.
b) It is his wife's birthday.
c) It is Emma's birthday.

4. Why is Emma unhappy about the music?

a) She doesn't like the music.
b) She has to get up early for work.
c) She wants to watch television.

5. How does Emma ask John to change the situation?

a) She asks him to stop the party.
b) She asks him to turn down the music or move the party.
c) She asks him to leave the house.

6. Where does John decide to move the party?

a) To the bedroom
b) To Emma's house
c) To the living room

7. What else does John promise to do?

a) Turn down the music
b) End the party
c) Go to work

8. How does Emma feel at the end of the conversation?

a) Angry
b) Thankful
c) Confused


Part 3: True or False

Listen one more time. Write True or False.

9. Emma is trying to sleep.
True / False

10. John has some friends at his house.
True / False

11. Emma asks John to turn the music down a little.
True / False

12. John refuses to change the situation.
True / False


Part 4: Understanding the Conversation

Answer the following questions in complete sentences.

13. Why does Emma need the music to be quieter?


14. What two solutions does Emma suggest?


15. What solution does John choose?


Post-Listening Speaking Activity


Talking About the Situation

Work with a partner. Student A asks the question. Student B answers in a complete sentence. Then switch roles.

Question 1

What would you do if your neighbour played very loud music late at night?

You can begin:

If my neighbour played very loud music, I would...

Question 2

How can you ask a neighbour to be quieter in a polite way?

You can begin:

I would say, “Could you please...?”

Question 3

Have you ever had a problem with a neighbour? What happened?

You can begin:

Yes, I have. One time...

or

No, I haven't, but if I had a problem, I would...


Recording Activity

Now record your answers to the three questions.

Try to:

☐ Speak in complete sentences.
☐ Use please when making a request.
☐ Explain why you would do something.
☐ Give at least two or three sentences for each answer.
☐ Speak clearly and slowly.

Useful Polite Expressions

  • Could you please turn down the music?

  • Would you mind turning the music down?

  • It's a little loud.

  • I'm trying to sleep.

  • I have to get up early tomorrow.

  • I'm sorry about that.

  • I understand.

  • That's a good idea.

  • I really appreciate it.

Popular posts from this blog

Helpful Links for Grammar Practice

Welcome Back to School!

Reading and Writing Warm Up!