Going to the Dentist - Vocabulary and Listening Skill Building Activities

 

Vocabulary Activity: Problem–Symptom–Solution Matching

Place each vocabulary word under the correct column where it belongs. You can add other words about going to the dentist that are not in the box. 

  • Word Bank: patient, dentist, dental hygienist, receptionist, dental office, dental clinic, waiting room, take/have a seat, sit in the chair, put on the safety glasses, lean back, turn toward me, open your mouth wide, rinse, spit, fill in the form, toothache, cavity, sensitive, sore, broken tooth, lost tooth, tooth fell out, pain

1. People & Places

2. Services & Money

3. Problems & Pain

4. Tools & Actions

(e.g., Receptionist)

(e.g., Insurance)

(e.g., Sensitive)

(e.g., Dental Floss)

Match & Describe

Step 1: Draw a line to match the Problem with the Treatment.

Problem (Symptom)

Treatment (Service)

1. Severe pain / toothache

•

A. Dental Floss / Brushing

2. Food stuck between teeth

•

B. Filling

3. Small cavity

•

C. Cleaning

4. Dirty teeth / plaque

•

D. X-Ray & Tooth Extraction

5. Broken or lost tooth

•

E. Crown

Step 2: Oral / Written Sentence Expansion

1.     "I have a cavity, so I need a filling."

2.     "My teeth are dirty, so I need a ________________."

3.     "I broke my tooth, so I need a ________________."

1.     "My tooth has been hurting for three days, so I need to get an x-ray."

2.     "It hurts when I eat something cold, so the dentist might put on a ________________."

3.     "The pain is getting worse, so I made an appointment for a ________________."

Activity 4: Dental Hygiene Frequency

Target Competency: Correct placement of frequency adverbs (every day, twice a day, rarely, never) in personal hygiene statements.

Learner Task Sheet: The Frequency Line

Step 1: Place the frequency expressions in the correct order. (Rarely, Sometimes, Every day, Never, Often)

[ 0%] --------------> [20%] --------------> [50%] --------------> [80%] --------------> [100%]
    |                             |                                 |                              |                                  |

Step 2: Interview a Partner

Ask a partner about their habits. Write their answers using the frequency continuum.

1.     Question: "How often do you change your toothbrush?"

Answer: "I change my toothbrush ________________________________." (e.g., every 3 months)

2.     Question: "How often do you drink sweet pop or soda?"

Answer: "I ________________ drink pop." (e.g., rarely / never)

3.     Question: "How often do you floss your teeth?"

Answer: "I floss ________________________________." (e.g., once a day / every night)

4.     Question: "How often do you go to the dentist for a check-up?"

Answer: "I go for a check-up ________________________________." (e.g., twice a year)

CLB 3-4 Listening Skill Building Task – Video Announcements at the Dental Clinic

Listen to your teacher read the dental clinic announcement. Circle the exact word you hear in each pair.

Audio Link

1.      Brush your teeth ( twice / thrice ) a day.

2.      Clean ( between / behind ) your teeth with floss.

3.      Limit ( sugary / salty ) snacks like candy.

4.      Pop can cause ( cavities / cleanings ).

5.      Drink ( water / soda ) after meals.

6.      Visit your dentist twice a ( month / year ).

Skill Builder 2: Signal Words — Do's vs. Don'ts (Imperatives & Modals)

Target Competency: Distinguish between positive recommendations and negative warnings using modal verbs and imperatives (should, must, don't, avoid, remember to).

Listen to the advice. Put a checkmark (√) under DO for good habits, or DON'T for harmful habits.

Audio Link

#

Advice / Recommendation

DO (✓)

DON'T (✓)

1

Brush for two minutes twice daily

2

Use a hard-bristled toothbrush

3

Replace toothbrush every 3 months

4

Drink sweet juice before bedtime

5

Rinse with water after coffee

6

Use wooden toothpicks aggressively

Comprehending and Giving Instructions in the Workplace: Reading and Speaking

CLB 3 Reading - Workplace Instructions: Using the Staffroom Properly Competency Area: Comprehending Information Workplace Context: Off...